Any questions we didn’t cover, or that you’re not completely sure about? Check through our FAQ to help answer any of your questions.
What are your hours?
Station office is open from Mon-Fri 9am-5pm, Sat-Sun 9am-4pm, 7 Days a week!
The Ticket Office is open 1.5 hours prior to departure times. Boarding begins 30 minutes prior to departure.
Do you have handicap accessibility?
We are not ADA compliant due to the historic nature of our equipment. However, we try our best to accommodate everyone. Please let us know at the time of reservation if you have any boarding concerns (walker, cane, wheelchair, need extra time boarding, etc.). We do have a wheelchair accessible entrance, seating, restrooms, and parking lot.
How do I get my tickets?
All tickets are will-call, meaning the guest will pick them up the day of their trip. Guests may check in between 1 1/2 hours to a 1/2 before departure time and pick up their tickets at the Ticket Office (the blue and yellow caboose). Please be prepared with tickets in hand for boarding 1/2 hour before departure time.
What are your Cancellation Policies?
Regular Season ( Trough Canyon, Sunset Trough, The Combo, All Day Petersburg, Green Spring Special and Holiday Trough)
- Reservations are NON-REFUNDABLE. However, an in-house credit may be held to reschedule for another date (subject to availability) for up to one year (excluding third party vouchers).
- For reservations involving meal service (Superior, Premium & Standard Dining), full credit can be held only if cancellations are made one week prior to the excursion date. If cancellations are less than one week prior to the excursion, a service fee will be deducted from your in-house credit to reschedule (service fee is determined by class of service).
- For Standard Coach Reservations- full credit can be held only if cancellations/date changes are made one week prior to the excursion date. If cancellations & date changes are less than one week prior to the excursion, a $10 service fee per ticket will be deducted from your in-house credit to reschedule.
- Potomac Eagle Scenic Railroad makes every effort to maintain its schedule but reserves the right to alter schedules or equipment as operating conditions warrant.
- In-house credits from regular season are NOT valid on North Pole Express Excursion.
North Pole Express
- North Pole Express (NPE) Ticket sales are non-refundable. If you need to cancel, an in-house credit can be held for a future excursion (subject to availability- Excluding third party vouchers) through October 31st the following year. If Potomac Eagle Scenic Railroad cancels a trip due to inclement weather, we will do our best to reschedule your party on another North Pole Express trip. If no reschedule can be made, an in-house credit will be held until October 31st of the following year.
- Full credit in both First Class and Standard Coach can be held only if cancellations/date changes are made one week prior to the excursion date. If cancellations & date changes are less than one week prior to the excursion, a $10 service fee per ticket will be deducted from your in-house credit to reschedule.
- North Pole Express Ticket reschedules can only be made for the same North Pole Express (NPE) season. NPE tickets cannot transfer to NPE the following year.
Add On (Smoke Hole Caverns)
- Smoke Hole tickets are considered final sale and are non-refundable.
- In the event that you need to reschedule your Smoke Hole Canyons to Caverns Tour, you have the option to do so to another available tour date. Please note that rescheduling is subject to availability.
- If you wish to reschedule, please contact our reservation office at least one week prior to your original departure date. Rescheduling requests made less than one week before the scheduled departure date will not be accommodated. Smoke Hole tickets that are rescheduled must be used within the same calendar year. If you are unable to reschedule within the same year, or cancel less than one week prior to the excursion date, the Smoke Hole ticket portion of your reservation will be considered forfeited.
Specialty Trains (Cupcake Train on June 20th)
- Reservations for this special event train are non-refundable. In the event that you are unable to attend, we do not provide in-house credits for this specific event. However, you have the option to transfer your reservation to another party if desired. Please note that Potomac Eagle Scenic Railroad strives to adhere to its schedule but reserves the right to modify schedules or equipment based on operating conditions. Kindly note that existing in-house credits are not valid for this special event excursion.
Different Seating Policy for June 20th
Unfortunately, we are unable to accommodate separate reservation requests for seating together on this excursion. To guarantee that your party is seated together, we kindly ask that all members of your group be booked under a single reservation.
Please note while we will make every effort to accommodate any additional tickets added to your reservation at a later date, we cannot guarantee that they will be seated together with the original tickets. Our team will strive to provide the best possible arrangements, but seating proximity for later additions may be subject to availability.
Are pets allowed onboard?
Pets are prohibited on all excursions. Service Animals, as defined by the Federal Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Title II and Title III, are allowed on excursions. EMOTIONAL SUPPORT or “COMFORT” animals do NOT have rights under the ADA and will not be permitted on excursions.
What if I have a food allergy?
When making your reservation, please alert your reservationist of any special dietary needs. The reservationist will submit your information to our kitchen staff and to our onboard manager. When you arrive, remind your server which member of your party has the allergy.
Is Outside Food allowed?
No, but we do have a concession car available that offers a variety snacks foods such as hotdogs, nachos, candy bars, ice cream, popcorn and drinks that are available for purchase on the concession car. The concession car is Cash Only and access to the concession car is available for ALL guests. Some classes of service offer a meal service and a car attendant that will serve you directly at your seat. *(Not Available on North Pole Express).
Is smoking or alcohol permitted on the train?
Alcohol and smoking is prohibited onboard any Potomac Eagle Excursion Train (this includes ALL vapes, e-cigarettes and/or similar devices).
Is there assigned seating?
All reservations are assigned seating in your selected class of service. All passengers in the same reservation will be seated together. Separate reservations will not be seated together unless otherwise noted. If your party needs to sit with another party, both parties must call our reservations office prior to the excursion date. Reservations are seated in the order they were made, but we will make every effort to accommodate reservation changes.
If you are booking online please select the dropdown indicating you would like to sit with another party and supply their exact name used in their own reservation (they must also supply your name on their reservation as well).
Where are you located?
All excursions depart and arrive back to our station in Romney WV, located at 149 Eagle Drive, Romney WV 26757.
Are there restrooms on board?
There are restrooms both at our station, and located throughout the train during your excursion.
*During The North Pole Express excursions restrooms on board the train are emergency ONLY due to live production in the isles and winterizing of the train*
Is there a Face Mask Requirement?
As a tourist railroad, we are regulated by the FRA, and TSA and must continue to follow their current guidelines in place requiring face masks on various modes of surface transportation. If you have any questions regarding this, please call our reservation office at 304-424-0736.
What is the Photo Policy?
By riding, all passengers grant Potomac Eagle and its parent company, Eagle Canon Passenger Car Company, the right to include photographic, video, audio, and other visual or audio portals of passengers taken during or in connection with the excursion for the purpose of trade, advertising, sales, publicity, promotion, training or otherwise.
Are carry-ons allowed?
Oversized items such as strollers, coolers, picnic baskets, and large carry on bags are not allowed onboard. We suggest you stow any of these types of items in your vehicle as we are not responsible for damages or loss if they are left at the station. Small bags and purse are allowed but please remember to take them with you when you deboard.