Heavy Equipment Mechanic & Welder
Potomac Eagle Scenic Railroad located in Romney, WV is currently accepting applications for a heavy equipment mechanic and welder to maintain and troubleshoot railway locomotives, railway cars, diesel generator sets and other support equipment, such as telehandler, air compressors, etc. Primary work locations are at the railway station and shop facility. Basic electrical knowledge as it pertains to this equipment is desirable. If needed, local travel may be required.
Railway locomotives to be repaired and maintained are EMD first generation. Passenger equipment consists of older steel and lightweight cars. Current support equipment includes telehandler, rough terrain crane, and air compressors. Work on other equipment as the need arises will be required. Attention to detail and safety is required. Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving ability is required. Interaction with Potomac Eagle’s customers at times, requires a good attitude and demeanor.
Responsibilities, Requirements and Skills: (some, but not limited to those listed)
- Expertly analyzes and diagnoses equipment problems and breakdowns.
- Recommends the correct service repair actions to resolve equipment performance problems.
- Makes appropriate equipment repairs and modifications to solve operating and performance problems dictated by the analysis of the equipment.
- Efficiently performs scheduled equipment maintenance.
- Documents each work, providing any necessary paperwork.
- Dedicated to getting the job done while meeting standards of quality and safety.
- Perform effective troubleshooting to identify hazards or malfunctions and repair or substitute damaged components.
- Perform weld repairs ass needed.
- Tack-weld or weld components and assemblies, using welding equipment.
- Perform structural welding using a variety of procedures, such as the groove weld, fillet weld complete joint penetration, and partial joint penetration.
- Weld components in flat, vertical or overhead positions.
- Operates equipment to move, lift and place metals and weldments.
- Proficient in GMAW (MIG) and SMAW (Stick) and GTAW (TIG)
- Basic knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of metal fabrications or other structures
- Proficient in use of manual plasma cutter and oxyfuel cutting torch.
- Proficient in use/reading of various measuring devices
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints.
- Willingness to train for Railway Conductor and locomotive engineer and fulfill needed vacancies on occasion.
- Ability to work outdoors in varying weather and environmental conditions.
- High degree of manual dexterity with good hand-eye coordination.
- Ability to walk on uneven surfaces.
- Must have physical stamina to perform continuously with full body motion for climbing, reaching, pushing, lifting, bending, stooping, squatting, and kneeling, etc
- Has the ability to perform strenuous and heavy work, can exert force up to 100 pounds on occasion and frequently handle loads to 50 pounds.
- Maintain predictable and reliable attendance.
- Follow company safety procedures, use common sense, and maintain an overall level of safety awareness when operating in the work environment.
- Make effective decisions when in unfamiliar or emergency situations.
- Willing and able to work a flexible schedule as needed to including weekends and extended hours
- Perform additional tasks as required by supervisor from time to time.
- This position is subject to the Potomac Eagle’s Drug and Alcohol Testing Policy which may include pre-employment, post-accident, random, reasonable suspicion, return to duty, and follow-up testing
Other optional knowledge and experience:
- HVAC and Refrigeration
- Railway conductor or engineer.
Potomac Eagle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to fill vacant positions with qualified candidates without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, or disability, assuming an individual can perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodation. Only qualified candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Please monitor your email on a regular basis, as communication is primarily made through email