Potomac Eagle Scenic railroad is currently accepting applications for the position of Locomotive Engineer. Employees hired from another railroad company that are deemed to be Certified Engineers will have to be assessed to evaluate their qualifications. Once the Engineers qualifications have been confirmed and upon successful completion of Potomac Eagle rules testing, familiarization requirements and any additional mandatory training, the newly hired employee will work as a Passenger Service Engineer.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensuring compliance with all train orders and railroad rules and regulations related to safety, operation and the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
- Observing, interpreting, and relaying signals concerning train and engine movement
- Inspecting the condition of a Locomotive or multiple locomotives during their shift.
- Preparing necessary forms and reports
- Maintaining predictable and reliable attendance
- Follow company safety procedures, use common sense, and maintain an overall level of safety awareness when operating in the work environment
- Make effective decisions when in unfamiliar or emergency situations
- Perform additional tasks as required by supervisor from time to time
- Ability to work outdoors in varying weather and environmental conditions
- Operating various devices such as an uncoupling lever to separate and couple cars or locomotives.
- Applying handbrakes on locomotives
- Climbing on and off locomotive side ladders
- High degree of manual dexterity with good hand-eye coordination
- Ability to walk on uneven surfaces
- Periodic bending, stooping, squatting, and kneeling
All trains operate from Wappocomo Station in Romney WV. however, some days work may commence from outside locations. When reporting for work Engineers will be required to prepare their train for the days trip which may include but not limited to switching cars in and out of the train and performing air brake tests as required by Federal Regulations.
Newly hired Engineers will take part in several weeks of training which includes classroom instructions and field training. The training guides the new Engineer through the critical safety skills required to work on the railroad. Once the classroom training is complete, the Engineer will complete trips as a trainee with a qualified Engineer to enhance his/her knowledge and skills. Successful completion of the training course is mandatory in order to work as a Locomotive Engineer
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Valid driver’s license
- High School diploma or GED
- Must meet all medical fitness for duty requirements for the position.
The ideal candidate profile:
- Prior experience as a Locomotive Engineer preferred but not required.
- Ability to adapt to different situations and manage stressful situations.
- Demonstrate good teamwork and maintain positive interactions with others.
- Constantly alert and prepared for unexpected conditions or circumstances.
- Conform to operating rules and safety procedures and maintain a high level of safety awareness in the work environment, both for themselves, their colleagues and passengers.
- Dedicated to getting the job done while meeting established standards of quality, safety and customer satisfaction.
- Displays common sense and good judgment.
Potomac Eagle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to fill vacant positions with qualified candidates without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, or disability, assuming an individual can perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodation. Only qualified candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Please monitor your email on a regular basis, as communication is primarily made through email