Potomac Eagle Scenic railroad is currently accepting applications for the position of Conductor with no previous experience necessary. Employees hired from another railroad company that are deemed to be Certified Conductors will have to be assessed to evaluate their qualifications. Once the conductor’s qualifications have been confirmed and upon successful completion of Potomac Eagle rules testing, familiarization requirements and any additional mandatory training, the newly hired employee will work as a Passenger Train Conductor.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensuring compliance with all train orders and railroad rules and regulations related to safety, operation and the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA)
- Providing and receiving various forms of oral and printed communication concerning the movement and placement of rail cars
- Observing, interpreting, and relaying signals concerning train and engine movement Operating track switches and derails to change engine and rail car routes
- Inspecting the condition of a train and equipment Preparing necessary forms and reports Maintaining predictable and reliable attendance
- Follow company safety procedures, use common sense, and maintain an overall level of safety awareness when operating in the work environment
- Make effective decisions when in unfamiliar or emergency situations Perform additional tasks as required by supervisor from time to time
- Pushing, pulling, lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds occasionally and assisting in the infrequent movement of weights of up to 83 pounds
- Ability to work outdoors in varying weather and environmental conditions Operating various devices such as an uncoupling lever to separate and couple cars Applying handbrakes on rail cars and locomotives
- Climbing on and off ladders on moving rail cars
- High degree of manual dexterity with good hand-eye coordination
- Ability to walk for frequent extended periods, sometimes on uneven surfaces Frequent bending, stooping, squatting, and kneeling
All trains operate from Wappocomo Station in Romney WV. However, some days work may commence from outside locations. When reporting for work Conductors will be required to prepare their train for the day’s trip which may include but not limited to switching cars in and out of the train.
Newly hired Conductors will take part in several weeks of training which includes classroom instructions and field training. The training guides the new Conductor through the critical safety skills required to work on the railroad. Once the classroom training is complete, the Conductor will complete trips as a trainee with a crew to enhance his/her knowledge and skills. Successful completion of the training course is mandatory in order to work as a Train Conductor.
- Must be 18 years of age Valid driver’s license
- High School diploma or GED
- Must meet all medical fitness for duty requirements for the position.
The ideal candidate profile:
- Ability to adapt to different situations and manage stressful situations. Demonstrate good teamwork and maintain positive interactions with others. Constantly alert and prepared for unexpected conditions or circumstances.
- Conform to operating rules and safety procedures and maintain a high level of safety awareness in the work environment, both for themselves, their colleagues and passengers.
- Dedicated to getting the job done while meeting established standards of quality, safety and customer satisfaction.
- Displays common sense and good judgment.
Potomac Eagle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to fill vacant positions with qualified candidates without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, or disability, assuming an individual can perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodation. Only qualified candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Please monitor your email on a regular basis, as communication is primarily made through email.